Skip to main content

Contact IDHR for Services or Follow-Up

Complaint Process

Federal Agencies and Courts

In order to preserve the Complainants' federal rights, IDHR automatically cross-files eligible employment charges with the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), and conducts the investigation for EEOC under the terms of the agencies' Worksharing Agreement. Similarly, housing cases are cross-filed with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

At any time before an investigation is completed, the Complainant in an employment charge may request a "Right to Sue Notice" from the EEOC which allows him/her to file the case in federal court. If a Right to Sue Notice is requested, you are encouraged to withdraw your case at IDHR. If a complaint with the same issues as those filed with IDHR is filed in federal court and you have not withdrawn, IDHR will suspend the investigation.

It is advisable to consult an attorney before withdrawing the charge to determine if this is the best course of action. In keeping with IDHR's neutral role, IDHR representatives cannot give legal advice to Complainants or Respondents.