Public Accommodations Charge Information
The Illinois Department of Human Rights investigates charges of Public Accommodations discrimination filed against:
- A business, recreation, lodging, entertainment, or transportation facility.
- A public official.
- A place of education.
Prohibited Public Accommodations Actions
The Illinois Human Rights Act prohibits discrimination in several public settings, for example:
- A place of public accommodation: To deny or refuse the full and equal enjoyment of facilities, goods and services.
- A public official: To deny or refuse the full and equal enjoyment of the services or facilities under the official's care.
- A place of education: To refuse to enroll, allow access to facilities, goods or services; or engage in or fail to take corrective action to stop severe or pervasive harassment.
Types Of Discrimination Covered
- Sexual Harassment
- National Origin
- Military Status
- Age - (40 and over)
- Order of Protection Status
- Disability - (physical and mental)
- Marital Status
- Sexual Orientation - (including gender-related identity)
- Pregnancy - (including child birth, or related medical or common conditions)
- Unfavorable Military Discharge
- Retaliation - (for opposing unlawful discrimination)
- Coercion / Aiding and Abetting - (helping or forcing a person to commit unlawful discrimination)
What The Department Cannot Do
The Department cannot investigate Public Accommodations charges:
- Based on political affiliations, personality conflicts, etc., unless such actions are alleged to be discriminatory for one or more of the reasons listed above.
- Alleging unfair actions within prison facilities because they are not places of public accommodations.
- Against places of education related to curriculum content or course offerings.
- Against the Federal Government or Federal Officials.
To File A Charge
Submit a completed Public Accommodations Complainant Information Sheet (CIS) either in person or by mail. If your allegations are covered under the Illinois Human Rights Act, a charge will be drafter for your signature. A charge of Public Accomodations discrimination must be filed within 300 days of the alleged discrimination.